Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Thai Cucumber Salad

This weekend I laid on the warm beach rocks along the shore. As the cool lake breeze blew, I was secretly thinking that this is what summers are made of. Every summer season I try to get as much of this as I can. Even if it's only 10 minutes here and there, it helps heal my mind and soul from the winter season. Things are growing! Grand Marais is alive! Summer is here!

Time to put away the pot roast recipes, and time to freshen up the way I eat. When it's growing season, I am trying to fit in as much seasonal produce as possible. This week I'll share a Thai Cucumber Salad recipe that we've been making at the Co-op. Full of fresh flavors, this salad is screaming summer!


Thai Cucumber Salad

2 1/2 pounds cucumbers, seeded and sliced into crescents 3/8" thick
1 jalapeno pepper, raw, seeded and chopped fine
1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, washed and chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
1/2 cup peanuts

3 Tablespoons rice vinegar
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp sugar
1 to 2 tsp fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder

Slice the cucumbers lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the seeds.

Combine the cucumbers, jalapeno, green onion, parsley, cilantro, and peanuts. Mix together.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, salt, and curry powder. Add the dressing to the salad and mix well. Belly up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment