Monday, June 24, 2013

Cultured Honeydew Butter

Growing up in Wisconsin, there was an abundance of all things dairy, such as butter. My Grandmother and my Mother slathered butter on everything. I am a third generation butter slather-er. A slather consists of a generous amount of butter, no less than a tablespoon let's say. I will admit that I was a vegan once. For about five days. I couldn't live without cream in my coffee and butter slathers melting off of grilled sweet corn, warm bread, mashed potatoes, pancakes, and everything else that requires a slather of butter. You can imagine the conflict that went on in my head those five days. It wasn't pretty, but it helped me to find a more healthful balance of rations of butter and cream. My heart and general health can only handle butter in moderation. That said, I pick and choose those butter items carefully. When I came across this recipe from Heidi Swanson's website, QUITOKEETO, I knew I would have to plan accordingly. Cultured Honeydew Butter is one of the most floral, beautiful, and just darn right delicious things I have stumbled across in weeks!

The recipe is easy and old school which is something I cherish. In a world of so much factory made food, and so many food regulations, it is a nice change of pace. I could never make this recipe at work, as you are culturing the cream over night on a counter top, and that goes against all of the food safety training I've had to accomplish over the years. But at home, it's a different game. At home it's about simple pleasures; playing Frisbee in freshly mowed grass in bare feet, enjoying Sunday morning coffee outside while curled up in a quilt with my daughter, and of coarse slathering this butter. My Mother would be proud. My Grandmother would probably enjoy it too.


CULTURED HONEYDEW BUTTER

Combine 2 tablespoons of cultured buttermilk with 1 pint of the best heavy cream you can source. Leave out on a countertop for 12-24 hours. Then, if you have the time, chill the now-thickened cream. Use an electric mixer with the whisk attachment to beat well past whipped cream, until the buttermilk completely separates from the butter, ten minutes-ish. The butter should come together into a ball.

Reserve the buttermilk for another use, pressing as much of it out of the butter as possible. Rinse and press the butter with ice water until water runs clear of buttermilk. Fold one part honeydew into two parts fresh butter with a sprinkling of flaked sea salt.

Hope you enjoy!! Belly up!

No comments:

Post a Comment