Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Indian Spiced Bean Dip

I've been on a curry kick lately. It's those warming spice blends that really help me get through the cooler temperatures. I decided that I wanted to make my own spice blend. When I did a quick search on the computer, I found more recipes than I could handle! Every region has its own spice blend. I suspect every family has its own blend as well. As with every family that shares recipes from generation to generation, I suspect curry blends are modified and adjusted to personal taste. I do the same thing with almost every recipe I come across. That means that you can create your own blend to your specific taste. I like that concept. The easiest recipe that I came across was courtesy of Alton Brown. It's a blend of six spices, toasted and freshly ground.

Alton Brown's Curry Powder Blend

2 Tbls whole cumin seeds, toasted
2 Tbls whole cardamon seeds, toasted
2 Tbls whole coriander seeds, toasted
1/4 cup ground turmeric
1 Tbls dry mustard
1 tsp cayenne

Place all ingredients in a container with an airtight lid. Shake to combine. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. When ready to use, grind and add to dishes according to taste.


There. Pretty easy! Other spice blends include fennel seeds, paprika, ginger powder, chili powder, salt and a whole spectrum of spices from different regions of the spice trade route. As I mentioned, you can create your own blend to your preferred taste. Have fun with it. It will make your kitchen smell fantastic!!


I wanted to offer up a recipe for you to use your curry powder blend with. We've been making an Indian Spice Bean Dip here at the Co-op with excellent reviews. This recipe contains turmeric as well as the curry powder blend. Turmeric has been getting a lot of press lately with it's healing properties. It's been used as a natural antiseptic, for cancer prevention, liver detoxifier, as an anti- inflammatory, as a natural painkiller, and as an arthritis treatment. The list goes on and on. I think the key to maximizing the health benefits of any whole food is to combine it with a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating. That is easier said then done, so I'm happy to offer this recipe as one to incorporate more healthy eating into your lives. Belly up!!


Indian Spice Bean Dip
from Wheatsfield Co-op, Ames Iowa

4- 15 oz cans unsalted cannellini beans, drained
8 cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp tumeric
2 Tbls curry powder

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth, adding a small amount of water if mixture seems to thick. Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate! I'm a big fan of spices, too. Turmeric/Curcumin is my fave, which I usually add to any recipe I make. I'll surely try your recipes. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete