Monday, February 20, 2012

Cilantro Pesto

I've been thinking endlessly about a future trip to Florida. Although I dearly love winter, I've been daydreaming about warmer climates. I've been embracing winter traditions and snow sports since I was a child growing up in rural Wisconsin, and for the last part of a decade, here in northern Minnesota. I have been watching my daughter relish her winter expeditions as well. There is something adorably amusing about my daughter as she thinks through strategies during our pond- curling sessions. Winter is embedded in our lives, so deeply, it is hard to envision life without frost. A coworker was telling me about her first jump of the year. She was referring to her first jump into Lake Superior. I asked if I could join her. Then I found out that the first jump will be happening soon! When the air temperatures outside reach 40 degrees! This is what I mean by winter being embedded. We can't help but rationalize these activities as part of our northern climate culture.

 I then went back to thinking about Florida. Wonder lost and eager for adventure, I can't help but imagine myself sea kayaking among manatees in warm waters. Paddling from island to island, exploring the shores with nothing more than a swimsuit and a snorkel in my backpack is my new goal. Hopefully Florida memories will be soon to follow! When I talk of memories, I'm talking about memories that include all of the senses.

I like to connect memories with my senses. The smell of pine, dampness, and moss will always remind me of my adventures in the northern Pacific. Tamales, natural hot springs, and my engagement ring will always remind me of New Mexico and the Gila Wilderness. Fresh tulips and pork rinds hot out of the fryer will remind me of the farmer's market in St. Louis. You get the picture. The combinations of sights and smells and sounds all combine to create the best memories that you just can't photograph. I thought I'd whip up a batch of cilantro pesto to inspire and provoke me into future travels. Cilantro is always in abundance. It tastes fresh and earthy, and it's vibrant green color really gets me thinking of the warmer seasons. This recipe is straight forward, and flexible. Play around with it- substitute alternative nuts like pecans or macadamias. Switch up the citrus from lime to yuzu or grapefruit. As always, have fun! Belly up!!


3 cloves garlic
2 cups fresh cilantro
1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
1/4 cup almonds, toasted
2 Tbls fresh lime juice
1 tsp to 1 Tbls chipotle pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbls toasted sesame oil

In the bowl of a food processor, add all of the above ingredients except the olive and toasted sesame oils. Blend together, and while the food processor is still blending, slowly drizzle in the oils. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Give the pesto a taste, and add more salt and/ or more chipotle pepper depending on the level of spice that is preferred. Give the pesto a few more pulses in the food processor. Use immediately. To store the pesto, place in a small bowl, drizzle the top with olive oil, and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap into the surface of the pesto eliminating air pockets. Stores for about a week in the fridge, or about 1 month in the freezer.

1 comment: