Monday, July 26, 2010

Warm sunshine. Cool lake breeze. Grand Marais feels wonderful today! I just returned from a little trip to southern Wisconsin. I can't tell you how many absurdly large 'cheese' signs that I had passed along the roadside, but I must admit there were plenty! Of coarse my curiousity combined with my need for caffeine had me pulling into one such cheese haus somewhere along the way. I was instantly reminded that Wisconsin holds its reputation for cheese production/ consumption. There were so many cheeses, plenty of locally grown produce, and of coarse local brews! A little slice of heaven that little cheese haus was! I knew this when I saw a t-shirt in the corner for sale, that simply read, "Eat Cheese or Die." I was satisfied when I left, and I was comforted knowing that most of the featured cheeses at this little cheese joint, were ones we have in our cheese cooler. And most were produced on a small scale by regional craftsmen. It seems I cannot let go of my Wisconsin heritage, and couldn't help but dream up some thoughts on how one could devour more cheese....here's one such thought.

It sounds a little weird, but grilling a wedge of Widmer's aged cheddar, along with some fresh outta the garden tomatoes would be super tasty! Serve it up with some grilled artisan bread, fresh herbs and greens, and a hefty drizzle of the ol' extra virgin, and I think it would be a great summer dinner. Of coarse add some bacon to this mix, and a fabulous B.L.T. would be in short order....

No comments:

Post a Comment